Monday, July 15, 2024

Hickok 605A Tube Tester

 Hickok 605A Mutual Conductance tube tester. I got this at an estate sale... It was in sad condition. Case broken open at several joints, covering ripped and hanging off, 50uA meter movement open, burned out contact on that big cluster switch, broken tube, etc. Looked like, and was junk. 




























I started by repairing the cabinet, clamping and glueing the joints, reattached the old covering, cleaning, etc. 

The rotary switches weren't too difficult... I used a dremel tool, cut the rivets, and replaced the contact fingers from another junker switch. 

The meter was most challenging. I found a meter with a 50uA movement (but broken pointer). Subbed it in, transplanted the face from the oem meter, and glued the pointer on from the original. Ok...that works... :-)

New tubes and calibration. Wow! This old girl is back online and working beautifully. I love old boatanchors :-)