Sunday, July 7, 2024

Microphone Call Placard

 A friend printed this on his 3D printer for my microphone. Deb painted the face of the letters white. Old skool look, made with new skool tech!








Friday, July 5, 2024

Realistic TRC-422A CB

 My old Realistic TRC-422A 40 channel AM CB, from around 1982. A little massage and it was back like new.












Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Johnson Messenger 250

 Here's a cool old Johnson Messenger 250, restored. It needed the typical stuff (a few crystals, caps, power cord, alignment, etc). The OEM desk mic is preamplified (a Turner +3 variant). She's not mint, but looks pretty good, considering it's 1973 birthday.














Thursday, June 20, 2024

JC Penny Pinto 23ch CB

I restored this old JC Penny Pinto base station. It needed the typical stuff... a couple of crystals for the snyth, caps, lamps, cleaning of controls, and alignment. Pretty cool old CB rig from the 70's.















Thursday, February 15, 2024

1936 Sparton, Part 3...

 A few more photos from today. I've settled on using Citri-Strip on the 1st and 2nd passes, and lacquer thinner and rags on the final pass. It really cleans up the wood nicely. The construction of the wooden part of this radio is absolutely beautiful. I cant wait to get the final finish back on it. Here's a few pics of the front, top, and crowns. 





Dave WB4IUY

http://www.WB4IUY.net


Wednesday, February 14, 2024

1936 Sparton, Part 2...

 Here's another photo dump on the Sparton. I'm still experimenting with various ways to remove the finish / strip the radio for restoration. I've had a lot of tips from guys on the various Antique Radio groups, and have been trying them tonight. The video below explains it better...


Below, gluing and pressing another small piece of veneer in place before stripping the cabinet. Overall, the cabinet is in great shape.

 

Testing Citri-Strip on the top of the radio cabinet. I've never used it before, and it seems to take a couple of applications on this cabinet. 

 

After first application of stripper, I'm wetting the area down with mineral spirits to remove excess stripper.

 

Second application of the citrus based stripper. Not much more coming off, but a little. Not sude this is the best way, the crowns on the cabinet are a mess and tough to clean & strip.

 

The next 2 photos are of the cabinet top after the second application of the stripper. I've wetted it down with mineral spirits again, to remove any excess and see what the wood might look like when refinished.


 

Next, here's the top with all finish removed, cleaned, and totally dry. Wow, those veneers are beautiful! Someone said this is "Tigers Grain Maple".

 

The next two photos show a different process. One of the experienced restorers told me they often only clean the cabinet, then use a rag with lacquer thinner to level the surface and remove some of the finish. Since the radio is finished in lacquer, lacquer thinner is a solvent and will dissolve the finish. I tried it... In the first photo below, the area on the RH side of the pic is untouched, worn, and scratched. The LH side of the pic is where I used a rag with lacquer thinner.... it works! Wow, it softened and leveled the existing lacquer finish, and the scrapes / scuffs disappeared!! Same in the second photo, I rubbed it into the lower cabinet leg, and it is as if it were refinished!


 

In the photo below, I did the upper cabinet leg with stripper, and it looks no better or worse than the section I rubbed in with lacquer thinner. Amazing...

 

The cabinet face is now stripped, cleaned, and rubbed down with lacquer thinner. Wow, that wood is BEAUTIFUL!

 

 Next, I experimented on the cabinet base / feet. They are rough and really scratched up.  In the second pic I tested a small area by rubbing it out with the rag / lacquer thinner method. It cleaned up and blended somewhat. I'll really need to sand and tint those, I think. In the 3rd photo, I used Citri-Strip on the LH foot. It is notably darker, but needs stripping, again. In the forth pic, the RH foot is blended a bit more with a rag and thinner.








Above, I'm pointing to the "rays" in the Tiger Grain Maple used on the front of the cabinet. They also "book matched" the two passes of veneer on either side of the cabinet face. Beautiful craftsmanship!

Dave WB4IUY

http://www.WB4IUY.net