Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Tri-band Repeater Antenna Construction Underway...

I'm in the process of making arrangements to relocate my 147.39+ repeater, 224.80- repeater, and 442.400+ repeater to a top perch on my tower at home. After 30+ years experience with amateur radio repeaters, I decided I do not want a fiberglass antenna on my tower...only a metal DC grounded antenna. I decided to set about to design a triband antenna for tower top installation for these 3 repeaters, with the vertical mast robust enough to support the DC grounded antenna for my 10 meter repeater RX side. 

I've started with a batch of DB Products folded dipoles. These are easily modified for correct operation on 2m, 220, and 440. These will all be fed from a single run of hard line via a 3 band tri-plexer. I've successfully fed the 10m receive antenna, 2 meter repeater, and 440 repeater like this in the past. Here's a few pics of the parts I'm working with. I'll update with more blogs as the project progresses. You can keep up with it by looking in the RH column in the "Jump to Blogs of Specific Topics", and clicking on "Repeater-Antennas". 


The long antenna is a Hy-Gain CLR2 I am repairing / retuning to 29.520 mhz for the 10 meter repeater's receiver.  

 The Hy-Gain CLR2 is a DC grounded 5/8 wl CB antenna, and makes a great 10m antenna.

 
Here's a batch of the folded dipoles from DB Products that I am re-purposing  for this custom build. They typically run around 110 ohms, so I'll be building a phasing & impedance matching  harness for these, once tuned.

Load of parts, ready for cleaning and mods. I actually picked these up years ago and stored them away.

Dave WB4IUY