Wednesday, February 26, 2020

ARR RX Preamp Failure, 442.400 repeater...

Shortly after getting the 442.400 repeater back on the air in test mode, I discovered the receive preamp was not working. This is an ARR P432VDG GaAsFet rx preamp. It has worked well for many years, having originally been installed back around 1994. This repeater took a lighting strike when it was installed at the Zebulon site, and I had never tested the preamp. I had to replace the PA at that time, so I'm guessing that's when the preamp failed. 

I put it on the IFR and spectrum scope, and discovered that it was a "deamplifier" :-) About 34db of loss when powered up, the GaAsFet has failed. This unit is about $100, so it's certainly work repairing. A new FET is ordered, so I'll post more about this during / after repairs. In the photo below, I set the sig gen for 0dB direct, and with the preamp inline, you see the 34dB or so of loss. 



Dave WB4IUY
www.WB4IUY.net