Friday, February 7, 2020

My Heathkit HW-101

I originally bought this Heathkit HW-101 back around 1993 from a friend at the Maysville NC hamfest. It had never been on the air, and my friend said they couldn't figure it out. It was originally built back around 1970, wouldn't work, and was put back in the box and stored away. After a little bit of work (assembly problems), it was on the air and playing like a new radio! I took it up to my Mom & Dad's lake house at Kerr Lake in NC, strung up some dipoles, and left it there...until January of 2020. I recently brought it home, and gave it a bit of a checkup, cleaning, and adjustment. It's on the air again, and just as good as it ever was.


Here's a little video after I finished up with a minor facelift on the rig. Receiving an SSB conversation on 40M at night. I have always loved these rigs, and have owned several over the years.



Here, I have the hood up. Tubes cleaned (they cool better when clean), sockets and all controls cleaned and lubricated, several mods done to improve the  SSB reception by increasing the BFO osc level and reducing the IF injection at the mixer. Also replaced a bunch of carbon resistors that had shifted values over the years.


I pulled the inner lower cover and cleaned the band switch. This one also has the CW filter.


Penta Labs 6146's in the PA! I neutralized them using the cold cathode method. I also gave the rig a full alignment and made a mod to improve the carrier injection null.


Cases and face plate cleaned, and looking great for a 50 year old rig!!


Ready to move her over to an operating position in Studio B!


Wired to a non-amplified D-104 mic, the transmit audio sound great and gets good reports. 


A little action on 40m SSB



Dave WB4IUY