Friday, August 16, 2024

Computer Overheat, Studio A

 One of my old hamshack computers recently started shutting itself down. After a few events, I started looking around in the bios and found the processor temp was going through the roof. I unplugged everything, and hauled it out to the shop. After popping the covers, I was amazed it had not caught fire! It had more lint than the 35+KV supply in an old color tv!

I vacuumed and blew it out. I found the fan that was supposed to be attached to the processor, had a broken bracket and was laying in the bottom of the cabinet! To top it off, one of the power supplies had a bad fan, and the blower on one of the doors had a failed connector. Wow, 3 non-funcitional fans...

I all fans were repaired, and all is a well in the shack! I used a piece of balsa wood glued to the bottom of the fan as a shim.  A piece of electric fence wire was ised to make a hold-down for the fan. The computer was  bought back around 2003 and runs non-stop. I should probably bring the others to the shop and clean them out!