Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Another Computer Overheating...

 This is another old, overheating, junker computer of mine. I mostly use it for viewing schematics in the shop. Processor power isn't too terribly important, it just needs an O.S. that's new enough to download schematics from a few archive sites. 

Recently, it started shutting down if I began expecting multiple pages to toggle between, and it was showing overheat when I peeped at the bios screen. 

It spends most of its life standing on end in a small gap between cabinets. I pulled it out, popped it open, and found quite a bit of dust. 

It uses a heatsinking system where a manifold is clamped to the processor, a copper tube then conducts heat over to a little "radiator", and a fan blows across that. The heat sink compound had dried to the consistency of baby powder, so I cleaned and replaced that. The fins on the little radiator were packed with lint, so that was cleaned. 

She's reassembled and running with no problems, now. I realize that most folks would have put it in the trash years ago, but it still serves a purpose and is out of the landfill :-)