Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Icom IC-211 VFO Repairs...

 Well, the IC-211 is back on my work bench. This time, the VFO fail and is stuck on the "power up" frequency. It has become increasingly sensitive to dust on the LED sources and optical receivers in the last year or two, perhaps the output of the LED sources is diminished a bit. I discovered alignment to be at fault as well. Check the videos...





It' back up and running fine. I operate it at about 1 watt out, into an old Vocom brick, for about 20watts to the feedline. With the feedline loss and antenna gain, my erp is around 395 watts. The pic below shows signals received today, so it's rx sensitivity is pretty good. Below that, you'll see my old Vocom amp, and lastly, a recent log snapshot. I just works my best 2m ft8 distance from NC, a bit over 1300 miles on a recent e-skip opening. Despite this gear being almost 50 years old,  it's still making great contacts.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or Comments?