Monday, January 10, 2022

Heathkit C-3 Capacitor Tester Refurb

 I picked up the C-3 Magic Eye capacitor tester from another ham and decided to restore it. I love these old magic eye testers. These are very easy to restore....I cleaned the pots and switches, recapped it, checked all resistor values, tested the tubes, and made a little mod to the power factor switch circuit. 

The power factor switch had a multi-pole switch on the back, and was bad. I installed a 4PDT relay, built a DC supply to switch the coil, and replaced the power factor pot/switch with something I had in the shop. It all worked as it should and I didn't have to go searching for some oddball switch & pot combo to repair it. 

These are neat testers, they actually check capacitor leakage while loaded with a high voltage DC signal. They're extremely accurate for an analog instrument, to boot! Here's a few photos and a video...

 




 


 http://www.WB4IUY.net