Monday, January 3, 2022

Hallicrafters SX-111 Final Assembly and Operation

 Before...

 


 

 After!

 


In previous blogs I described repairing a knob, preparing to strip the face plate, and face plate painting / lettering / pin striping / and clear coating, and restoration of the knobs and face plate bezels. She's all finished and playing like new. In earlier videos below, I mentioned trying to repair and retain the original face plate paint, but that didn't happen. No matter what I did, I kept finding rust, and I just wasn't happy about that. In the end, I'm extremely happy with the result and glad I spend the extra tie on this sweetheart of a radio! Check out the videos below to see bits and pieces of testing and restoration.




Links to various videos of the process...

- Beginning checkout and restoration the SX-111

- Investigating AVC action issue... Discussing cosmetic stuff I changed my mind on later...

- More debugging, on SSB

- Even more debugging, on AM

- Recapping underway, still debugging...

- 1st Vid in shop after reassembly 

- Online in Studio A, on the 68 Group net on 40m SSB 

- Online in Studio A, discussing work done, on Southcars net 7.251 

- Another vid on 7.251 Southcars in Studio A, showing dampened S-meter action

- Online in Studio A, demonstrating the Notch operation 


73

Dave WB4IUY

www.WB4IUY.net