Sunday, December 20, 2020

WB4IUY Portable 1996


  

I found this photo while going through a bunch of old pics... Back story: This is an old Atlas 210 radio and power supply, MFJ antenna tuner, paper  & watch for logging, a copy of my license, and a roll of wire. When travelling for work, I used to put all this in a gym bag and take it on the airplanes as carry-on luggage. I'd get the a hotel room the highest I could in the structure, and after dark, I'd deploy the antenna. I would tie a weight onto the end of my antenna wire, and slide the wire out the window and down the side of the building. I'd use other wire scattered around the room for counterpoise / rf ground, tune it up, and I was on the air. Very often I noticed a lot of interference on the TV systems...I don't know what that was :-)

 

Once, when boarding a commercial flight, i was pulled aside and asked to open and empty the bag. I opened the bag, explained it was portable radio gear, and said "I have a Federal License for this". When I showed them my license, they immediately and said " no problem, sir, carry on. :-) Those were the good ole' days, I doubt it that would work, today! 


I made a lot of great portable contacts on that setup, and I'm sure it helped keep me out of trouble while I was on the road for days at the timer. I miss that old Atlas. It wasn't really a great radio, but it sure was a load of fun! 


Dave WB4IUY

www.WB4IUY.net