Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Cabinet Re-Build for Studio A...

I had a little extra wall space in Studio A, and wanted to use it for some of my shortwave radios, QSL card files, etc. Debbie looked around on marketplace and found a local person with a couple of cheesy shelving units for $5. After getting the dimensions, I decided to get them and rebuild them to fit my needs. The shelf loading would be low, so I thought these would work out just fine. Here's a few pics and descriptions...

I began by assembling the bits from the pile of wood I bought. I used the cheesy cardboard backing just to hold it square during assembly. I used some 1" square stock as joiners to hold the two cabinet sections together.


You can see the 1" square stock pieces I used to join the sections. There was no top board for one of the shelving units, so I screwed the bottom board into the upper part, screwed the 1" joiners to the bottom of that shelf, then the sides of the lower section to the joiners. 


I picked up a sheet of 1/8" thick composite cabinet backing from Lowe's for about $12, cut and nailed it to the back. It's much stronger than cardboard, and holds the cabinet square very nicely. 


 View from the front. I put the textured side facing forward, since it would hold paint well and not scratch off easily. 


 

The bottom of the cabinet is seen in this photo. I plan to pre-drill holes in the shelving and side of the cabinet for AC power and antenna feedlines to enter. 



You can see the holes in the cabinet side in the pic above. Enough for today, I'll get back on this tomorrow and continue. 

http://www.WB4IUY.net