Thursday, July 6, 2017

Stacking the 90' Section, 7/4/17

The tower work is moving right along, it won't be long before I get the antennas re-installed. I had a little time on the afternoon of July 4th, and decided to get the next section pulled up and installed. I loaded up the tool bucket, and pulled it up to the 80' point with the gin pole. I climbed up to 80', attached the tool bucket to the tower, climbed back down to the to the 70' point, dismounted the gin pole, climbed back up to 80', pulled the gin pole up, and reattached it to the top of the 80' section. Once attached, I pushed the center of the gin pole up 12' (to about 92'), dropped the rope down to the ground, and climbed back down. 

Once on the ground, the 90' tower section was tied to the rope, and hoisted up to about 92' and tied the pull rope off at the base of the tower to hold things in place until i could get back to the top. Back up the tower I went, up to the 80' point, and tied myself off to the tower. The 90' section was pulled around, Debbie loosened the rope at the bottom of the tower, and we lowered the 90' section down and onto the tower. 

The 5/16" & 1/4" bolts were installed in each tower leg, and I called it quits for the evening. Below is a short video Debbie took with her phone while zoomed in, along with some pics she and I took with our phones while doing the work. 


A little video of me climbing up to the top of the 80' section, getting ready to attach the 90' section of tower...


 Heading up the tower, this was at about 55' up...


 You can see the gin pole above me, holding the 90' section...


 Debbie was taking these pics from the drive out front of our home, with her cam zoomed in...


 Heading on up, almost at 70' in this pic...


 Securing my safety belt to the top of the 80' section...

 
 Installing bolts in the legs of the tower section...


 Taking a photo of Debbie...w-a-y down there, on the back deck below me. 


 Looking at an incoming storm on the horizon, about 10 miles away, as seen from about 80' up. 


 Looking up the tower to the top of the 90' section.


 Looking down the tower from my perch at 80'...

 
 Finishing up and heading back down...


 Up to 90' in this photo...a thing of beauty to me :-)


 My tower is pretty well masked from view by all of the trees on our property...


 ...as seen from my back yard...




Dave WB4IUY
http://www.WB4IUY.net