Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Tower Work, 9/27/17

I had time to climb the tower and do a bit more work before dark. I got the rotor mast installed, set the height of the mast so as to not vertically load the rotator, locked the thrust bearing inner race to the mast, slipped a home brew rain/ice skirt in place over the thrust bearing, and the pulled the rope back down the tower for the next task.

 Rotator mast installed into the tower top, working on the ice/rain shield. I didn't have this for the first 23 years of use, and it would get water in the top of the bearing and freeze up every year...


 Top thrust bearing now has a shield to help keep ice and rain out...


Looking down the torque arm on the top NE guy wire.


A better view of the torque arrestor in use on the top guy wires.


 Rotator locked to the mast and ready to get busy!


 Looking up the tower to the mast that will soon be supporting the rotatable antenna array.


The sun was setting on me again, while I was up the tower... time to climb down!


The sun was setting on me again, while I was up the tower... time to climb down!


 A 4.0 zoom of the tower top, just before dark.


Dave WB4IUY
http://www.WB4IUY.net