Monday, November 26, 2018
Wow...sure miss the days when Radio Shacks were all around, and I could grab one of these cool cabinets to build things in. I've built a ton of stuff in these things...keyers, receive preamps, T/R Switches, Power Supplies, Amps, you name it! Lots of stuff, I wish these were still available....
Later, before Radio Shack closed up, these cheapie plastic boxes came out. They're cool for stuff, but nothing like those nice metal cabinets with the wrinkle finish. I wonder if anyone still sells the metal cabinets above?? Here's a few pics of the plastic stuff I also built things in...
Oh well, I guess times change, but I still like to live in the past!! Email me if you know of a source fo rthe metal cabinets in the first picture group. Thanks!
Tuesday, November 20, 2018
I headed up to a hamfest put on by the Johnston Amateur Radio Society (JARS) on Sunday 11/18/18. We had a chilly start for the tailgate area, but it warmed up quickly. BIG turnout! There was loads of stuff outdoors by the tailgating crowd, and all tables were sold out inside. Here's a few pics I took...
You can tell by the photos above, that I like the vintage stuff :-) I picked up two bags full of components for various projects, only spent abt $30! Shrink tube for trap caps, piles of capacitors (HV, ceramics, electrolytics, etc), zener diodes, transistors, switches, project boxes, a huge RF plate choke, rubber feet, spacers, nicad battery packs, binding posts, etc.
I saw lots of old friends I had not seen in years, met several new friends, got to look at tons of stuff, and had the most fun I've had at a hamfest in years.
Tuesday, November 13, 2018
OK, this isn't ham radio related, but it is electrical :-) On a recent fishing trip with our little JonBoat, Debbie spotted the rear driver's side tail lamp module on our boat trailer had failed. These are sealed incandescent units, without any possible access to replace the lamp. They're not very expensive, but being the tightwad that I am, I had to set about to attempt a repair.
These have a dual filament 1157 lamp inside, with the wiring soldered to the bulb, the bulb mounted in a glob of silicon rubber adhesive, and the red lens literally glued in place. Using my Dremel tool and a carbide cutoff disc, I cut around the junction where the red lens was attached to the white plastic housing.
With the red lens removed, I scraped off the melted plastic, pulled the lamp out, and peeled the old silicone adhesive out. A new 1157 lamp (costing about a buck!) was re-soldered to the wiring, a new glob of silicone adhesive (bathtub caulking) was squirted into the middle of the white plastic base, and the new lamp was nestled down into the adhesive. Once that cured, I applied a thick bead of silicone caulking around the perimeter of the lens, and the lens was pressed back into place onto the base. The excess caulking was wiped off, and the assembly was allowed to cure.
Once cured, the light assembly was reconnected to the trailer wiring harness, and the light assembly snapped back into the gasket of the trailer. A quick test showed all to be well. Gotta love a cheap repair!